Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Alternative Power Initiative



















It starts like this and ends.....



















like this.

I read in Sunday's NWI Times about a race that was held in Whiting for alternative power vehicles. The vehicles had to complete a 5 mile course through the city streets with a $7,000.00 cash prize for the winner. There were three entries with the most successful completing 1.2 miles and earning a $300.00 consolation prize. The rules are relatively simple: no internal combustion engines or electric motors, minimum of three wheels, licensed driver, and if more than one vehicle goes the distance, the winner will be determined by a drag race. That sounds like my kind of whacky project. You can get the scoop at the Alternate Power Initiative.

If any of you readers have any ideas for a sure fire winner, how about sending them along. I've got a couple of things I thought about right off the bat. Of course, I scratched the big-ass rubber band idea right away but it's an interesting design problem. One of the vehicles was powered by carbon dioxide and one by compressed air. Since I'm not running the high mileage car anymore, I'm sure I've got some students who'd be interested in building something for this contest. And if it would pull wheelies like Evel Knievel, that would definitely be the stuff.


3 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

No big ideas for ya, Bro but it sounds like you could win with most anything that would make it 5 miles.
Goat Cart maybe? Sort of a Back to the Future sort of thing. Nah. Just being a smart ass here this morning.

See ya soon.

leroy99 said...

I have came up with two good ones they need some refining but are coming along smartly. We'll talk Saturday

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Unk: Being a smart ass seems to be a common trait in the family. As far as the goat cart, if someone doesn't come up with some sort of fossil fuel alternative, it might come to that.

leroy99: I can use all the help I can get.