Monday, August 30, 2010

Baby Tee Slot Nuts & All Things STB Part ll































A fine young man (hope to see you Sat., Dave) donated a display/bulletin board cabinet to the gym. The only problem was the fact that it was locked with no key, and there were no provisions for hanging it up. I took the thing apart, removed the old locks and fortunately, we had some locks at school left over from our old drafting desks that I was able to make work. Problem number one solved. The cabinet is made from aluminum extrusions that are shaped like a Tee slot on a milling machine or drill press table so I made up a couple of small Tee slot nuts that fit the slot, drilled and tapped them for a 10-32 screw and then made a couple of straps to screw on to them. The straps have an additional hole to use to mount them on the wall. Problem number two solved. Nothing hard here, just a little time spent fabricating and scrounging.

I still can't pull anything large into the shop at school due to some material stored in there and they still need room to bring in the man lift so they can finish hooking up the new heating system and a few other things. It's a good time to get a few little jobs done around the shack and to make my grandiose plans of what I want to accomplish this year, both at home and at school. Whatever I come up with, probably only a third of it will get done but at least it's a plan. A couple of jobs for the school have already come in the door and I've got one left over from last year that I'd planned to finish over the summer that I couldn't get to. Couldn't get to, meaning I couldn't even see it, let alone work on it. But this too shall pass.

Looks like it's going to be a busy fall. I've got several weekenders planned for September and October already and with a little luck, maybe a trip to South America. I've got projects galore to work on and with all the unresolved monkey business at school, I'm just planning on flying under the radar and hitting the projects hard.

I added another link to the sidebar - Diary of a Wimpy Dad. This is a former neighbor and a real good pal of my son. Check him out.

Last but not least, I received a very nice e-mail from the Museum of Science and Industry thanking me for entering the contest. They're even going to send me some free passes. That's a class act and one that I greatly appreciate. They put together a thank you video that shows a photo of all the applicants. So if you were the Zen Master of technology, you could pick my picture out of the display of 1500 applicants. I'm thinking I'll take the family to the museum this fall using my free passes and see it for myself. There are also some of the videos the applicants sent in available for your viewing pleasure as well. It would have been a real tough job to choose just the semi-finalists. Lots of interesting and talented people out there - a sky diving instructor, a guy who rode his bicycle around the world, and my favorite, of the few that I looked at, an elementary school teacher who was Teacher of the Year. I was in the running for the same thing on the county level a couple of years ago. I got beat by the gray haired elementary teacher on that one too. I couldn't have been happier for her, though. There is no paid position in this country more important than a good elementary school teacher.

2 comments:

leroy99 said...

Good company and good food I am in for sure!! Thanks for the invite by the way. I have to set up an interview with someone in career I wish to purse, for a paper I am writing so I was thinking.... Wondering if that would be possible sometime this week. Could come to the school or what ever would work for you. Could email or drop off questions prior if need be.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

If you want to come by school, my prep is 12:00 - 1:00. Any day is good.