Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Scanner












Click to make bigger









As mentioned in a previous post, I want to start working on my photography a little bit more this fall, specifically more black and white with my big cameras. I've come to like taking photos at night and have had some success. It presents some unique problems - the mosquitoes in the summer, stray light sources from cars passing by and difficulty determining the correct exposure time - but the rewards are great.

Great black and white photos are determined by three things, to put it in extremely simple terms: composition, recording all the detail on the negative and then printing the photograph. Composition is often what makes the difference between a great photograph and just a snapshot. Some of it is as simple as making sure the telephone pole isn't growing out of the subject's head but usually it's something more, much more, in fact. That's why when you see a picture of a pepper, you think of Edward Weston and not me. This is without a doubt my weakest area. A true artist always seems to see things slightly differently than the average Joe like me.

Recording the detail on the negative often times presents a real challenge and night time photography is one of them. The difference between the lightest and darkest areas of the subject is usually more than the range of the film is able to capture. There are things you can do to over come this and that's one of the reasons I find low light photography interesting. Figuring out what to do when you're making the exposure and when you're developing the film is the real challenge.

Printing the actual photograph is another matter all together. I've become fairly competent in printing my images. I've still got a long way to go but this end of the photography is more of a mechanical process as opposed to the artistic visualization of making the shot in the first place. This is more up my alley and one of the reasons I prefer working in black and white instead of digital. I find darkroom work infinitely more enjoyable than Photoshop.

All of this brings me to the title of the post and the photo. The Missus bought a new scanner/copier/printer and in figuring out how to use the thing I scanned in the photo, thinking that would be a good test of the scanners ability. The photo was taken in Ely, Minnesota across the street from the Ely Grand Lodge. I took it with an old folding camera propped up on the parking lot while swatting lots of mosquitoes. It was somewhat of a challenge to print but because I actually got a good negative to work from, I was able to get a decent photograph. In fact, I would say this is probably my best night time shot. Now that I have a scanner, I'll be able to bring some things into the blog that you might find interesting. You'll have to be the judge of that but that's why they have a comment function.

5 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

THE PHOTO LOOKS GREAT. I WROTE IN MY BLOG THE OTHER DAY ABOUT JUST WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, ONLY IN GENERAL TERMS. DEVELOPING A SKILL TO THE LEVEL OF WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO. IT IMPROVES YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE AND ENHANCES THE OTHER FOLKS LIVES AROUND YOU, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks for the kind words about the photo. I checked out your blog - good to see you posting again by the way - and couldn't agree with you more. I want to keep improving my photography but I want to keep it strictly at the hobby level. I'm thinking " be unbelievably good and devote 10,000 hours to your craft", as Surly recently posted, is more than I want or need to enjoy myself. And with my many and varied interests, I'd have to give something else up. But more to the point, all us who are "hands on" people rely heavily on our brains to guide our hands. Obviously your son used his eyes and brain in order to lay the patio blocks and you had to use your brain to layout the job and do the estimating, etc. One of the biggest things that people forget is the "carry over" factor. The skills your son learned from the patio job will be a good foundation for him developing his skill set - skills he can use on another, perhaps totally unrelated project. Plus, as you mentioned, learning skills from your dad is a time honored tradition that we are unfortunately letting slip away from us.

cuzzin ricky said...

now that you have a new toy i will expect to see full coverage of the monon trip steam engine and all cuzzin ricky

Shop Teacher Bob said...

If I shoot film, it might take me 6 months to get around to printing the photos. I am planning on taking both a film and digital camera along. With that fancy new camera you bought, you should be taking the photos.

cuzzin ricky said...

not a problem i plan on taking the new rig the only problem is i have to take the camera with me everywhere i go cause i don't know how to get the pictures out of the damn thing i'm not a real ace when it comes to the computater maybe i can get someone to show me how to do that one of these days if you want to see the pictures i take you better hope i bring the camera with me this will be my picture of mel kenyon round 2 cuzzin ricky