Thursday, August 19, 2010

New Barn















Things are underway for my new barn. The Building Trades class will be building me a new 24' x 32' gambrel roofed barn. It will have two 9' garage doors in the front and a space up top for a woodshop. I won't have access to the woodshop at school after I retire, so I can have a woodshop/he-man woman haters club upstairs to tinker in without making sawdust around my machine tools or down the basement. The Missus will have a place to park her rig and I'll have a place to put the finished motorcycle projects and my bicycles.

The boys have got the hole for the footing about half dug and school's only been in session for three days. I'm taking that as a good omen. This job won't be enough to carry them through the school year and the instructor is looking to line up some more work but he wants to get the concrete work done ASAP. If he gets something else going, he can get that job under roof before the bad weather and finish me up in the spring. Either way, I'll have the new building and things cleaned up around here.

5 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

THINGS LOOK LIKE THEY'RE MOVING FORWARD AT THE HOMESTEAD.DID YOU USE THE PLANS FROM MENARD'S THAT I GAVE YOU?

I PLAN ON COMING UP FOR SHOP NIGHT A FEW TIMES THIS YEAR FOR THE BIKE PROJECT. I'M
HOPING TO CLOSE IN ON THIS THING THIS WINTER AND SPRING.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

leroy99 said...

Gonna have room for a circular stair case in there? Looks like things are going well...

Shop Teacher Bob said...

TVI: Yes on the plans. I'm planning on starting Open Shop after Labor Day.

Leroy99: I'm thinking the circular stair would be a fine addition. Probably have to add one step and the railing got a little bent when the old barn came down but nothing that couldn't be fixed easily enough.

Grumpyunk said...

Looks like a winner, Bro.

Nice pics of you over at Surly's place, BTW.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Unk: It's going to be nice for Sammi to have a place to park her car and with a nice place to keep the finished projects, there might actually be some.

Surly's been doing some good work with his camera. It's nice to see him finding an outlet for his creativity.