Sunday, January 23, 2011

Everyone Needs a Hobby



















Interesting concept, that.

Surly paid me a compliment about the lantern photo in my last post and got me to thinking. The majority of my photos are of projects and very little thought goes into the photographic process. As these are usually taken in the school shop, I just try to crop out as much of the background as possible, turn off the camera flash to minimize reflections from the metal, and then point and shoot. Quick and dirty but, normally, acceptable quality for my purposes.

I have no aspirations of becoming a professional photographer but I have done some portrait photography. The results were kind of hit or miss but I enjoyed doing it. As I mentioned to him in the comment section, maybe I should try some project portraits. I put together a little setup for that kind of work but I really haven't used it yet. Maybe do some Irving Penn type of stuff. He did many of his portraits with the simplest of backgrounds and lighting set-ups. Of course, then I'd have to start dragging things back and forth from school and I do enough of that already. There are photographers who specialize in just this type of photography. Trade magazines and journals are chock full of these types of images but that's not really the effect I would like to see. Now would be a good time to try a few things, however. It's too cold to work in my shop at home but the basement's plenty warm. I need to get back to doing a little photography before my trip to Italy. Sharpen up my eye a little and maybe get back in the darkroom. I want to take a film camera as well as a digital to Italy. Good time to get started.










5 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

Any news on what is causing the chest problems?

Shop Teacher Bob said...

The Cat Scan said I'm fine. Looks like I'm through with the doctors and need to figure it out on my own. I started bench pressing to stretch/strengthen the chest. Seems like it helped some. If I can't be a runner/cyclist, maybe I'll be a body builder. I heard you're healing up pretty well. Maybe we can get together before you leave.

Grumpyunk said...

That chest thing is strange that it is still giving you trouble.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

It's been about 7 months now with no improvement. I've been to two doctors and a chiropractor - no help. The one doctor finally threw in the towel. As I told Traveling Pirate, I'm going to work on it in my own way now. Either it'll get better or something will give and any doofus will be able to diagnose it.

Grumpyunk said...

That's as good a plan as I could come up with.