Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Let There Be Light










Scratch the lanterns
off the list

















Toolbox and proud
builder

















Start of toolbox project












Aluminum bin






Lanterns came out pretty sexy looking. Another job off the list. As easy as it was, makes me wonder why I drug my feet for so long. Character flaw I suppose. Maybe I should work on that. I'm sure it would make the Missus happy. I am working on a little job at the shack that's about the same deal. Two years getting warmed up and two hours to actually complete the job. Makes no sense but I've been that way for a long, long time. Project Completion Deficit Disorder? Maybe there's a support group for that. We could all sit around talking about why we don't get our shit done.

Busy week, like most. I inherited a bunch of sheet metal left over from the construction project at the school this summer, so I had one of the boys make a toolbox for the boxing gym. No biggy but these guys have never done sheet metal before or worked from prints much. The plan came from the Dave Gingery book Sheet Metal Technology available from Lindsay's. Nice little starter job. Kid did a nice job, too. While we were working sheet metal we made up a little box to hang on the end of the TIG table for the little pieces of filler rod and scrap aluminum bits. The Missus wants me to make a few water trays to put on top of the baseboard heaters to add a little humidity to the shack, so that'll be next weeks sheet metal project.

I also welded up an aluminum intake manifold for a former student and the toolbox parts in the photo are sitting on a cart for the cafeteria I welded up. Made a trip to the dentist, two after school meetings and I'm helping out my sister-in-law dispose of things that belonged to her late husband who passed away recently. Another reason I should be working on cleaning up my own act. No reason to leave the Missus or my son with a huge burden of half finished projects. Lot easier to get rid of things if they're all put together. I've got a Cat Scan scheduled in the morning - might finally figure out what's been wrong with the chest for the last six months. I'll try and finish the little job in the house and then watch a little football this weekend. I hate to root for the Bears because it's usually the kiss of death for whomever I root for but I'd like to see them in the Super Bowl.

Stay warm - supposed to hit zero tonight.

2 comments:

Surly said...

Nice photo of the lantern

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks. I wanted to check the wiring and see how it looked lit up, so I figured might as well shoot the picture at the same time. I should probably put a little more effort into the photography of all the project pieces I post. Maybe a series - Project Portraits. Could be fun and instructional.