Saturday, January 8, 2011

Fenders








Outer Roller For Lens
Clamp Machine














Inner Roller and
Sample Lens Clamp















Speeder Car Fender













Inner Fender








It's been a fairly busy week but not too much to show for it. First week of the new semester so takes a couple of days to get back in harness. Did a little maintenance work around the shop, finished up a project that had been on the back burner for a while, and did a little planning.

Andy was here most of the time working on his speeder. That kind of slowed me down a little helping him but it's a pleasure working with a young guy who really wants to do things. One of the fenders was beat up beyond salvation so he made a new one. I showed him how to go about it on a piece of aluminum scrap and then he went to work on the real thing out of steel. As you can see from the pictures, he did OK. That boy has talent. He loaded up Friday so he could head back to college. I've got a ride coming when he gets the project done. That'll be fun.

I got a couple of railroad caboose lanterns a few years back that needed work. I was going to fix one for myself and one for the guy I got them from. He moved away but the lanterns didn't. The number one hold up was that I need some of the clamps to hold the lenses in them. If I spent some time and effort I could probably find them on Ebay or go to a railroad stuff swap meet but since that hasn't happened I doubt that it will anytime soon. In order to clean up the docket, I'm going to try and build a little roller that will make the clamps without too much effort. I had the large diameter plate cut out and laying on the TIG table for quite awhile. As long as I was cleaning up and I'm trying to finish some things, I figured might as well work on that a little. I machined up a couple of parts and will try to get some clamps made relatively soon so I can finish up that job. Just pickin' them off the list now. No real rhyme or reason to the selection process, just get them done and move them out. There's still plenty more to do.


2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

You be gettin' after it, Bro. That fender looks good. Amazing what some talent, knowledge and the proper tools can achieve.
Rock on.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm trying to get caught up. Might never happen but I need to think I'm making progress if nothing else.

Talent, tools and ambition - that's the key to about all of it. Nice to see a young guy putting it all together.