Thursday, April 28, 2011

Aerator






Trusses!
Hot Damn!

















The Not Quite
Royal Wedding























Making good progress on the aerator job. I got the dethatcher hung on the back of it and it goes up and down pretty much like I planned it. As they used to say on the A Team: "I love it when a plan comes together". We fixed a few other things this week, like always. A couple more broken desks in that endless parade, a tamper for the baseball team, and an old Jon boat I welded up during Open Shop. Hoping to get started on a couple of my own things soon while the boys are steppin' and fetchin' trying to get some of their required work done.

The barn is back in the schedule for the Building Trades class. They got a couple of the trusses set yesterday in between the raindrops. The weather's been terrible for outside construction projects and we've got more rain forecast for today. If it keeps up, I'm going to be manning the pumps down the basement. Installing the sump pump is definitely on the "to do" list for this summer. Only had water down there twice before but that's about three times too many. I've got the pump and the sump, just haven't been real eager to bust a hole in the basement floor. With these old houses, you never know what you're going to run into.

I talked to one of the IT people on embedding a couple of instructional videos on Moodle. It looks like all of us here will be required to put our lessons on Moodle next year. If I'm going to be forced to do that, I'd like it to be somewhat useful. Since the majority of our time is spent welding, I'm not sure of the value of putting up something like "welding a tee joint in the vertical position with an E-6011 electrode" is going to be. If the kid is too sick to come to school, not much point in putting welding assignments up for him to do at home. Plus, I'd rather his dad wasn't doing the welding for him at home, if he actually had access to a machine. I was talking to the Building Trades Instructor at lunch and he's kind of at a loss also as to what he's going to do. The trouble with this one size fits all approach to education is that it usually never fits anyone well. Hopefully, someone, somewhere, can show me the light. The IT guy is supposed to get back to me and I can get started on it over summer vacation. I'm sure it won't be the top priority but I just want "My Man Mitch" to know that I actually do school things on my own time.

So there's the latest. Good news on the project front, maybe bad news on the water front, and Moodle has become my new sword of Damoclese. And in this case, it really could be worse, it could be raining.

No comments: