Friday, April 22, 2011

Busy Week, Again

It seems like all of them have been pretty busy lately. I had something going on every night - gym on Monday, Open Shop on Tuesday, retirement seminar on Wednesday, meeting with the superintendent and gym on Thursday. All that on top of a cold I've been nursing for the last week. Glad I've got today off. The retirement seminar was put on by the state pension group. I picked up on a couple of new things plus they recommend having a face to face meeting two years prior to retirement. That's me - I think I can swing getting out a few years early. The way things are going and the way my mental health is responding, I probably should, whether I can afford it or not. I'm not exactly the most positive of employees any more. That's liable to get worse on Monday night after the school board meets. Depending on what the superintendent's recommendation is, I might lose a couple of days off my contract. I understand the reasoning for it but they haven't been giving us much to be happy about lately.

The job itself has been going well, however. We fixed and patched a few things this week and because the weather has been so crappy, the boys haven't gone into full-blown laziness yet. The fact that progress reports came out this week probably helped as well. We cut an earring/piercing thing off a young lady. It wasn't in the lobe of the ear but in the part right in front of the ear canal. First one of those I've done. We put some pieces of channel on the side of a trailer - kind of like stake pockets but for tie-downs. One of the maintenance guys brought in an aerator and a dethatcher that he wants us to marry. I spent a little time on the mechanics seat with my coffee cup staring at it and I think I've got it figured out. It needs to be adjustable so he can use either the aerator or the dethatcher independently of each other. We'll start on that Monday. I sharpened up a big Forstner bit for the guy in the woodshop. Nothing too scientific, just a little judicious filing. The boys finished up the cart for the new TIG welder except we forgot to make provisions for hanging the cables up. No biggy, but that's not like me to forget something like that. Too much on my mind right now. I took a couple of pictures of the projects but for some reason the computer won't read the camera card this morning. A photo of a piece of 5" channel welded to the side of an old rusty trailer isn't that glamorous anyway.

The weather today looks like 40's and rain so I won't get much done outside but I've got plenty to keep me busy inside. Tomorrow looks better. I need to mow, of course I need to fix the mower first. I got the front yard cut the other day and when I went to get the thing started to cut the back, I managed to burn the starter out of it. It's eight years old and this is only the second thing that has gone wrong that I had to spend any money on so I guess that's pretty good, actually.

Have a good Easter and enjoy some time with family and friends.

2 comments:

leroy99 said...

Well probably better to get over the cold than push the envelope outside today not that nice out there!! Looks like I have 27 credits to go talked to weld boss over there and sounds like he may let me test out of arc I and II so that would be six credits shorter in the long run. Of course when they announced summer course where open I looked that night after school and the classes I need where full already. So I am thinking about a year and a half, think you can make it!! Happy Easter to you and the missus also

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Leroy99: It's good that you're still pushing forward with the schooling in spite of what I've been saying lately. I'm thinking two years should be just right for me. Hopefully things will be getting better by then.