Saturday, April 30, 2011

Guzzi Again














Surly sent me a link to a write up on this beautiful Moto Guzzi. This thing is slicker than snot on a doorknob and ain't but one thing slicker than that. Not sure why I've got the Jones as bad as I do for one of these but I sure do. The Moto Guzzi Museum looks like it would be a nice destination if a guy was touring Italy in the Lake Como region. If I ever go back, I'm heading up that way - been working on my Italian just in case.




















And if I buy that Guzzi, I'm going to get me a pair of these Gasolina boots. They might be a little overkill riding around on a 125 Rapido but at only $189.00, they're a hell of a deal.

I really need to get busy and get something finished up for the street. It's time to scratch that motorcycle itch.

Took Thursday off to man the pumps, supposed to rain today and tomorrow as well. Compared to what those poor people in the south have gone through, a little water in the basement is nothing more than a little inconvenience. My heart goes out to them. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose everything. While that would be bad enough, the loss of life that has accompanied the storms is real the pisser.

The last time there was a tornado outbreak like this was in 1974. I remember that one. It destroyed much of Monticello, Indiana, including the Redman Lodge where we used to go every summer for the Putt/Bohannon reunion. My grandmother lived only about six blocks from there. Fortunately, she and the rest of my relatives were spared any real damage. My cousin in Brandenburg, Kentucky wasn't so fortunate. She was killed when that tornado destroyed her beauty shop and much of the downtown area. Mother Nature can be a cruel mistress.

Again, my heart goes out to them.

5 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Remember that day in Monticello well. Like you say, a little water is no big deal.

You would slick on that Guzzi, Bro. Especially with those groovy boots. You should just go for it.

Grumpyunk said...

"Look Slick" - Typing skill fail.

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

RICK WAS LIVING WITH GRANDMA AT THE TIME, WE WENT DOWN THE NEXT DAY. IT WAS AWFUL. THE ONLY THING THAT COMES TO MIND ARE THE PICTURES OF EUROPE DURING THE BLITZKREIG. MY HEART GOES OUT TO THOSE PEOPLE ALSO.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Traveling Pirate said...

I keep making mental plans for my next trip to Italy too.

In 1976, when I was a few months old, a tornado went down our road. Mom was on one side of the road with me and Dad was on the other. Not a good time and much damage but at least we all survived.

Ironically, I've had dreams about tornadoes my whole life. I don't go more than a few months without having one. For some reason, they are also always geographically correct in regards to direction one would expect a tornado to come from in our area.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Unk: I'm thinking about it real hard. As always, I've got lots of other plans that require money as well. I did pick myself up a Guzzi coffee cup while in Italy. Might be the closest I come to anything Guzzi.

TVI: Rough stuff, those tornadoes. Nothing you can do to avoid them either. Brother Dave had a close call out in Kansas a couple of years ago with one. Just the luck of the draw.

Traveling Pirate: Forget the tornadoes. We both need to keep dreaming about returning to Italy. I've got one more shot at a Lilly Grant. The wheels are already starting to turn.