Friday, April 6, 2012

VW Floor

Front Pan and Heater Channel Repair
Lots of Rust - What Was I Thinking

I went over to school for a little bit today to attend to a few little odds and ends. I finished welding in the patched up heater channel and floor mount the other day but I needed some caulk to seal it up before finishing the pan. The left side of the pan gets welded to the tunnel and the right side bolts to the bottom of the body. I put a nice big, fat line of silicon along the mating surface of the pan to the body and bolted everything up snug today. Actually there are two pans - one front and one back. They have about a 3" gap in between them where the seat mount goes. I made a filler piece to bridge the gap that I'll weld in as well. I can then tack the seat mount in place and the passenger side is pretty much done. As you can see from the photo, I patched up the hole in the firewall as well. 

I'm going to try and get over there again tomorrow afternoon and get it welded up. I need to paint all the parts for the spiral staircase installation also. I made a short hand rail to mount to the wall at the top of the stairs today and got it primed. It was the last piece needed before I put paint in the gun. Maybe I can get that taken care of as well. I'm doing a 5K in the morning so I don't want to get too ambitious in the afternoon. Might have to give up my nap time.

Have a wonderful Easter. 


No comments: