Saturday, June 16, 2012

Graduation


I finished up cardiac rehab the other day as documented by the above certificate suitable for framing. I completed Phase II but don't remember there being a Phase I. Maybe that was walking the hallway while in the hospital. Regardless, they gave me my certificate, a pedometer and sent me on my way with instructions to work my way up to 10,000 steps per day. 10,000 steps translates into roughly 5 miles, which is a pretty good distance. Without factoring in specific exercise time, I walked about 5,000 steps the first few days working around the shack and just doing what I do during the course of the day. I've been riding my bike every day as part of my routine but I need to add some upper body exercise. Unfortunately, I'm still in limbo.

I met with the Doctor a couple of days ago and he wants to do another test on the heart and maybe another angioplasty. I was hoping to get the go-ahead to start doing a little more instead of continuing to just spin my wheels. Could be worse, though.

I found some fuel line for the Rapido and the Missus picked up a small windmill that is in need of repair, of course. It's missing some of the vanes and one leg is broken, so I can work on that and keep plugging along on the Rapido while I'm waiting on testing and Dr.'s visits. Plus it's going to be in the 90's for the next week, so I'll have to take it a little easy anyway. 

Have a good weekend and happy Father's Day to all of you Daddy-O's out there.

2 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

I think it was you that was once talking about the book Up the Down Staircase. It was on sale at the library for 25 cents (buy one, get two free) so I picked it up. What a good read. In 50 years, it's amazing how little has changed in teaching high school. They may add technology but most of it is 100% the same!

Good luck with your next round of doctor appointments, pokings, and proddings.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Educating high school kids will always be the same until technology can implant the knowledge directly into their brains. You'll always have to deal with all the problems they bring with them such as poverty, hormones, attitudes, drug and alcohol abuse, lack of parental involvement, etc. The movie of Up the Down Staircase was pretty good. That, plus The Blackboard Jungle, Cooley High, Teacher, and To Sir With Love cover most of the problems and the solutions with education. Maybe we should sponsor a movie night for the politicians. They might realize then what we're up against and that the solution is a little more complicated than taking away our bargaining rights and adding some high stakes test.

Thank's for the good luck wishes. I need to get better - you're killing me on the Pres. Challenge.