Thursday, May 2, 2013

Springtime is Happy Time

Photo From Here
I've been putting my inspection skills to use at the college by testing certification plates - need to start a jar like this one for the proceeds

The weather was absolutely gorgeous yesterday so I rode the S-Vee to work. Here's a few random thoughts on the commute:

The engine on this thing is just about perfect for my likes. Redline is 11,000 but you never have to spin it up past 6,000 to get it moving and quickly - lots of torque. In top gear, 4500 rpm equals 60 mph. Runs really nice there. The driveline has a little more slack in it than I'd like. That forces you to roll off the throttle rather than slapping it shut if you want things to go smoothly on downshifts or deceleration. It's easy to over drive the headlight when it's on low beam. Out on the backroads, there are lots of black spots on the road surface, some are patches, some are holes. When you're looking through a bug splattered visor on the helmet and you've got headlights from oncoming traffic to contend with, might be nice to be able to see the road surface. And it's springtime, which means that there's liable to be farm vehicles on the road any time of the day that I might be out. Besides the fact that they go slow and cut a big swath going down the road, they also drag a lot of dirt out onto the highway. I need a new cargo net to secure my lunch bucket on the back - the elastic on mine is about shot. First time I've commuted on a motorcycle in almost twenty years. I'm sure my skills are a little rusty but I'm planning on taking it easy. It's a commute, not a race. I like the bike. For my fifty mile round trip commute, should be lots of fun. 

I made a stop on my commute yesterday and got the results from my blood test. Total cholesterol 134. Everything else looked good as well. In fact the nurse said the numbers looked perfect. Between that and the bike ride, I was smiling all day. Life is indeed good.



2 comments:

Surly said...

On downshifts give it a big blip about 3200rpm.
The throttle position sensor could be adjusted. It's set weird from the factory. That's what's causing the "driveline slack". I've got the info to adjust it. It smooths out the delivery.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Roger that - thanks!