Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Anniversary

It's been six years now since I had the heart attack. Health wise I'm doing real well - but I thought I was prior to having the grabber also. I had my cholesterol checked recently and it came in at 124. That's about 100 points lower than it used to be and that's with me adding some cheese and some occasional meat back into the diet. Actually that's a good way to get some vitamin B12 into the diet. That's about the only thing you can't get as a vegan but I'd classify myself as a vegetarian rather than a vegan now.

My weight is pretty good but I'm still planning on losing a few more pounds. I exercise on a regular basis both with a little bit of strength training and cardio. I need to pick up the cardio some more. I'm operating on the assumption there's a bicycle tour in my future as well as a few more race walks this season. The weather hasn't been co-operating much but I'll be out on the bike soon and I've been putting in more and harder rounds when I go to the boxing gym.

One of the hardest things for me has been to keep my life in balance. I want to spend more time on the projects out in the shop, do all the rest of the things I like to do, as well as the things that need to get done, without overdoing it. I need to remind myself of that. I had a painful reminder recently when the last principal I worked for at the high school had a fatal heart attack. He was two years younger than me. Good man and a decent boss. I'm enjoying life and would like to avoid a similar fate. If I can stay on the middle path I think I'll be able to achieve that.

For the rest of you, do what you can to keep yourself healthy. You can get away with a lot when you are young but it's liable to come back and bite you in the ass later in life. The Missus and I are planning on going to our 50th high school reunion this summer. Last one I went to there were quite a few canes and a couple of oxygen tanks and that was ten years ago. I don't suppose that anyone found the fountain of youth in the last ten years and will be looking any better. Just remember you're in it for the long haul. Keep the weight in check, eat whole foods, get some exercise on a regular basis and be nice one another.

Live long and prosper.

4 comments:

Surly said...

You've got plenty of miles left.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm hoping so. What I've been doing seems to be working fairly well. It's pretty easy to become complacent and the older I get the harder it is stay motivated to exercise.

Rich in Ky said...

Continued good health to you sir.
...Rich

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks Rich - likewise to you.