Monday, April 9, 2018

Motorbike Monday


Here's the latest part from my CNC class - pencil holder that looks like a revolver cylinder. The OD was turned on the CNC turning center then chucked into the three jaw chuck on the auxiliary axis attachment of the CNC milling center. The holes are drilled by rotating the part rather than the machine moving to the proper location. It could be done either way but since we're supposed to be learning multi-axis machining, might as well spin the part. After the holes are drilled and countersunk, the part rotates 90 degrees from the upright position to the horizontal and the flutes are milled with the machine rotating the part so everything is done in one chucking. Pretty slick actually.

The next project is going to be a "threading" exercise. A milling cutter will come into the part while the machine rotates it. It looks like an Acme thread. I should be able to get mine done this week.

We got some new welding machines where I teach.

They are set up to Stick, MIG and scratch start TIG. For those of you with limited welding knowledge, scratch start means no high frequency so you are limited to welding steel - no aluminum or magnesium. That won't be an issue at the school because they have several other ones that will do that. The nice thing for us will be the additional MIG capabilities. I went through a short training session last week and there's all kinds of things you can set on the machine for different materials and the various processes, including a pulse function. I tried a little bit of stick welding with both a 6010 and a 7018 rod in the flat and the vertical position. It welded really nice. More like the old transformer-rectifier machines instead of the crappy first or second generation inverters.

I should look into buying myself a new machine. My old Miller Goldstar still welds OK but the timer for the TIG post flow quit working and it takes up a lot of room. I don't know if I can justify buying a new machine with the little bit of welding I do now days. I'll probably just keep using what I've got until it quits. It's seen a lot of service since Uncle Pete purchased it back in the 60's, so that could come most anytime.

I've got the motorbike done but I've got a bit of an issue with the pedal chain. I put a tensioner on the bike but even with that the chain is either too long or if I take another link out it will be too short. I'm going to try it out and see how it works once it warms up - it was 19 degrees at 6:30 yesterday morning and it was snowing last night/this morning. As long as the motor starts easily enough, I shouldn't have to pedal it much anyway.

My buddy who hooked me up with the recent bike repair job called me the other day. He's retired now and wants to do a bike tour - might end up doing the Cowboy Trail in Nebraska this summer. I'm going to get my touring rig and trailer out and he can come down and check it out before he starts buying any gear. I haven't been camping or bike touring in several years now and he never has. I'd like to do another ride. Hopefully we can get something put together.

I'm back working on the sidecar. With any luck at all, I should have that completed this week. Additionally, I took a look at the sidecover drawing for the BSA to see what's the best way to approach that job. Might see about making one as son as I finish up the sidecar.

No comments: