Thursday, April 26, 2018

Hubcap's Done


Surly commented that the wheels on the sidecar rig need to be gold - like the Moriwaki superbike above. I'm not necessarily against that, but I'm wondering what type of paint would give the proper look without looking cheesy. I don't know what the finish was on the ones from back in the seventies - paint, powder coat, anodize. Paint would be the easiest option. I'm considering widening the rear wheel. If I'm going to do that, it would be best to get that done first if I'm going the powder coat route. As it stands, the sidecar is just about done, so while I'm tearing the bike apart I'll give that some thought.





Hubcap is done and looks like it belongs there. I found some stainless screws that fit the bill. I need to take a skin cut off one of the  axle spacers, however. It was a pretty tight fit getting the wheel back in - must of gotten a bit of distortion when I finish welded everything. I also need to pick up a SAE type flat washer to put behind the axle nut and rivet in the Dzus fasteners. I need to decide if I'm going to paint the fender or leave it as it is. It's not really smooth enough to polish, or paint, as far as that goes. If it was a real racing sidecar, the paint would get rubbed off and scratched in short order, so leaving like it is probably is my best option. I can always planish it a bit more at a later date.


1 comment:

Surly said...

Perhaps we should revisit this...
http://surlycamera.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-chief-and-his-superbike-pt-4.html

Also, you can buy Campagnolo replica magnesium wheels. A pair will run you about $3200. usd.
Guess what color they come in?
http://www.twowheelclassics.co.uk/catalogue/campagnolowheels.html

This is imperative.

http://elcorramotors.blogspot.com/2017/10/19-in-front-19-in-rear.html

It's your bike, you are definitely entitled to do it wrong if you like. ;)