Tuesday, November 12, 2019

A Man's Got To Know His Limitations



I was thinking this the other day watching the guy struggling with his heavy pack during the ruck. Been a while since I've seen any of the Dirty Harry movies. Now that winter seems to be here, like it or not, I should pick a night, light a fire in the fireplace and do a Harry Callahan marathon.

Surly supplied me with a chili recipe that looks good, my running buddy, who's also a vegetarian, has a good recipe she said, and I found one in my one vegan cookbook that looks tasty. It calls for three types of beans and three colors of peppers. Looks really simple to make and I usually have all the ingredients on hand other than the different colored peppers. I'm going to give that a try next. I did make a chili pie last week. I picked up a link of jalapeno and cheese sausage from the little mom & pop grocery east of me to give it some zip. I cut it into fairly small chunks but should have taken it out of the casing and browned it like hamburger. The little grocery always has a good selection of meat. I was eye-balling the stuffed pork chops while I was there, in fact. Might have to break training, again, and get a couple of those.

I do want to get back on the program again, however. I've kept the weight down but I'm still eating a bit too much of the sweets. I enjoyed the ruck march and I'm thinking about doing some more of that and gradually adding some more weight to the pack. If I stay with it over the winter, I might be able to do some back packing come spring time if I can find someone willing to come along. The Missus doesn't mind me doing these things but with my medical history, she doesn't want me to go solo.

While training for the ruck march I was thinking about the 50 mile challenge from Teddy Roosevelt's day. I wrote about this a couple of years ago after seeing something about it at The Art of Manliness. If you follow the link there's a real good write-up about the history of the walk.


This was back in the sixties. Looks like the answer to the question is yes, definitely. With all that's happening in this country presently, I'm thinking we all should be taking our health and physical condition seriously. Actually, regardless of what may develop in the future, it's always a good idea to get a bit of exercise on a daily basis - don't want to be the guy who keels over while shoveling snow.

No comments: