Friday, November 22, 2019

Rack 'Em Up



Working on a few of the piddly things that hopefully will make life easier as well as some light maintenance around the shack. This is a rack for the welding tips for my oxy-acetylene torch. I'm going to make a cover for the top of the rack to keep the dust out of the "innards". Probably something with a hinge for convenience sake.

I also decided to attempt a spiffy points cover for one of the Sprints. I bought one for my racer years back that was originally intended to go on a Triumph. I had to turn the OD to make it fit inside the timing cover and the fins weren't quite aligned horizontally as they should have been but it looked real racy on the bike. I've been kicking the idea around of making one literally for years. It'd be real nice if I had access to a CNC  mill but I think I can make something decent "old-school". The one on the racer was a casting but setting up a foundry is out of the question. I've also been collecting parts and working on this bike on and off for as long as I've been thinking about making the points cover. While the Rapido is the number one priority, it'd be nice to have two HDs put together this winter. I don't have too much left on it. I will have to move it up front into the heated section of the shop if I expect to get it finished, however.

Starting to get into a nice groove as far as getting things done goes. I don't have anything real pressing at the moment, so I just make sure I get a little something done everyday I'm not working and then buy parts with my paycheck. Not a bad system - at least until I quit the job.

No comments: