Friday, April 10, 2020

Nick of Time



It's been eight years now since I had my heart attack. Other than the Missus getting cancer, it's been a pretty good eight years. I was fortunate to come out of it with only the minimum of damage, plus the heart muscle was in good shape going in to it. The diet change and retiring from the high school has helped keep me plugging along. I'm no longer a strict vegan but I think I've found the balance I need. I'm more a vegetarian who eats some cheese, a little ice cream now and again, and my kryptonite, a breaded pork tenderloin at the race track. Not much chance of overdoing it on those for a while, however. I've been keeping the weight at a reasonable level - I could afford to lose a few pounds but can't we all. My resting heart rate was 55 when I checked it the other morning, so that's pretty damn fine for an old dude pushing 70.

I'm hoping for at least another ten years. And I'm going to need every damn minute of that time to get most of the projects done. I still need to keep things in balance between work, play and rest. I've been doing a fairly good job of that, I think. My ability to prioritize things might not be top notch but it keeps the stress level way down and that's super important. This Wuhan Flu thing hasn't been helping but the Missus and I are much better off than many, many others. Fortunately, we were well prepared for the self-quarantine with a well equipped pantry. I do need to get some tomato and pepper plants. There's a local garden center that you can phone your order in and they will bring it out to the car. Might give them a call next week. I didn't leave the shack this week other than my bike rides and a trip to the pharmacy for the Missus - complete with the mask and hand sanitizer. 

Everything else is A-OK. Making a little progress on all fronts, both of us holding up well, considering, and enjoying the arrival of spring. Please be careful out there. Stay home, wash your hands, consider a donation to the food bank if you can.

No comments: