Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Stayin' With It.



I ordered some more parts for the jitney. I've got a front beam axle with the factory spring and wishbones attached. I'm thinking it's out of a fairly heavy duty truck looking at the spring. It's 2" rather than the more common 1-3/4" typically used for T-buckets and high boys, etc. It's also 50 " wide rather than the more common 46" or 48". I ordered some spring clips and a shackle & bushing kit, both in stainless. I'm planning on taking a few leaves out of the spring to get the ride like I want it, so that'll require a bit of experimentation.

I also ordered some "U" bends for making the exhaust. There's a guy on eBay selling the flanges like in the photo. I'll have to buy a set of those and see what I can come up with after I get the engine set down in the frame. I'll bolt up the head and intake manifold and take a look not only on making a header but also the height of the air cleaner. I want the air cleaner completely inside the hood but if it's too tall I want it to stick up proud. I don't want to cut a hole in the hood just to clear the wing nut on the cleaner.

Weather's turning to crap again - beautiful day today. Looks like it'll be rainy and chilly for at least a week - maybe even a few snowflakes. I'm going to have to close up the big doors on the shop again and maybe even run the heater to take the chill off. I got another call from the boss yesterday. I made up a few spare parts but I didn't print up any installation instructions, so I had to "talk him in". He also put in an order for some more items. I have some material here but when I go through that we'll have to work something out to replenish my stock. He also asked when I was coming back. Told him the governor said at least until the end of the month. Good to be needed.

Stay safe and stay home. If we all stay home things will get back to normal just that much quicker.


No comments: