Monday, July 1, 2024

Installation Complete

 

I had the radio on in the shop yesterday and this song came on. It was the Led Zepplin version, one of my favorite tunes by them, but I prefer the Willie Dixon version. In fact, I'm of the opinion there should be at least one Willie Dixon tune on the radio every day.


One of the reasons I was in the shop was to repair the sprayer I broke when I turned too sharply with the mower. Fortunately, I'm usually able to repair my screw-ups without involving anyone else. When I mentioned I needed to weld it, the Missus asked if I knew any good welders - everyone's a comedian. It did get me to thinking, though. I'm a good welder and a fair machinist, but now with the grandson learning the welding trade and Surly being a Cracker Jack machinist, when the time comes I can't do that sort of work, I've got a couple of craftsmen I'll be able to call on.


In addition to spraying the front yard, I finished the radio installation in the truck. The club president programmed it for me but I don't really know what all that means. I did hear some Morse code on it after I turned on, so I know it works, but I've got a big learning curve ahead of me to figure out all the features. 

Between the club president getting me set up with the radio and accessories, and everything I had at the shop, I only had to make one trip to the hardware store. I bought some self-adhesive clips to route the power wire along the firewall to the battery. Everything worked out for a real neat installation, even if I do say so myself.

The weather Saturday was hot and very humid. I had sweat dripping off my nose while I was hooking up the wires to the radio. Yesterday it was about 20 degrees cooler with a big drop in the humidity. Today is supposed to be cool again, so more yard work and shop clean-up.

No comments: