Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Lever, Oil & Battery

 


Started making the actual shifter lever. I was going to bend up the lever and tack it together but it was 90 degrees with a heat index of about 100 degrees yesterday. That plus my chest is feeling better but I don't want to screw things up again by pulling on the handle of the bender. The lever itself is only 1/2" in diameter but it needs a "U" shaped bend after it leaves the part that slips over the transfer shaft to clear the foot peg shaft. For the right-angle bend where my toes will go, I'll heat that up to make it easy to bend so I don't screw up the machined end for the rubber piece. 


The oil for the Sportster showed up a couple of days ago. I'm thinking I shouldn't have to buy much of anything else now. I just need to drag it out and finish it up. I might need a little professional help to answer a couple of questions, but it'll get done.


The replacement battery for the cordless drill came yesterday. Actually, it was a two pack. I don't have any idea how well the new ones will do but if they're junk, I won't be out much. I looked at the DeWalt site and they didn't have an 18 volt listed. Instead, they have a 20 volt and an adaptor. I didn't want to invest too much in the battery, since the drill is probably 10 years old and if I spend a bunch the switch will go next. In fact, I thought about just getting a new drill, but I've got a driver tool that came in a set when I bought the drill. If I bought a new drill, I'd still need a battery for the driver tool. So I'll charge up the new batteries and see if they're worth anything. 

There's hardly a day goes by that I don't use the drill. As far as I'm concerned, the guy who invented the cordless drill should have received the Nobel Prize. These things rank right up there with the invention of moveable type and indoor plumbing in my book.


No comments: