Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Welding Jobs, Guerrilla Warfare

 I received an email from McCarthy Search out of Culver City, California with a job posting for a welding instructor at Lincoln Tech in Melrose Park, Illinois. I don't know how they got my contact info, but I did look at the job posting and I definitely meet their requirements. Shortly thereafter, I received another email from the same outfit with several welding job postings. All of these are in Illinois as well. I'm not in the market for a job and all of these are too far away to commute, but if someone is looking for a job, either as an instructor or a welder, you might want to check these out. And don't forget, the submarine builders are looking for welders that can pass a background check and a welding test.


Royal Enfield has a new model: the Guerrilla. It uses the same motor as the new Himalayan model. 452 cc displacement and it's liquid cooled, a first for Enfield. According to the review I read, it's a capable mid-size bike that should be competitively priced here in the US. The price here hasn't been determined but depending on how fancy you go, it will retail for about 5,400 Euros with the Euro and dollar exchange rate close to being even, should be a bargain here.

Fairly busy day yesterday. The septic tank guy was here about 8:00, when he finished up I went to the grocery and bank, haircut after that. 


I sharpened up the spare mower blades later in the afternoon. The 9" grinder makes short work of the sharpening process but it'll give you forearms like Popeye if you use it on a regular basis. 


I managed to get the motor bolted into the vintage trials bike frame. I set the motor on the floor jack and got the top rear mounting bolt in place and then lowered it down into place. Between sharpening the blades and picking the motor up, my chest was a little sore later on that evening. I've been rubbing some Voltaren on the chest when I've aggravated it and that takes care of the soreness. It's been a long time since I tore the muscles, might be as good as it gets. Not going to like it, but I can live with it if I have to.


The Missus brought home something else for me to work on - going to take some rust removal and some work to get the seat shaft to break free so it'll revolve like it should. It would be handy to have casters on it, but I can picture the old girl falling off of it if there are casters underneath it. I'll get some rubber tips for it instead. It should look nice when cleaned up and painted. I'd like to see a padded and upholstered top on it. That'll be up to her, however.

No comments: