Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Storm Damage

 


We've had some interesting weather as of late. Storm over the weekend but the real bell ringer came in on Monday night. Big line of storms that was moving through at about 70-80 mph and spun up quite a few tornadoes. Fortunately, we didn't get hit too badly. We never lost power, which I found surprising. Losing power is not the concern it once was, since we got the generator installed, but like all things mechanical, you just never know.

The sirens were going off, so we got our shoes on and made ready to head to the basement. We lost the TV feed, so I turned on the national weather service on the radio. I recommend everyone having a battery-operated radio with weather channels for these storm events.

I got up yesterday morning and took a walk around the house to check for damage and I didn't notice anything other than the persimmon tree had a big branch breaking off the top. However, I went out later to take some mail down to the mailbox and found the driveway blocked by one of the Hawthorne trees that had blown down. I fired up the chainsaw and got the drive opened up. Lots of sweat with all the humidity. Plus, I'm just not used to working hard since my chest has been bothering me. Surprisingly enough though, with the sawing and pulling and tugging, my chest didn't bother me afterwards. 

Once I got the drive opened up I called the tree trimmer, who stopped by later. He's swamped right now due to the storm, but he said he should be able to make it out next week. I'm going to have him cut down the other Hawthorne tree while he's here, trim up a couple of other trees and grind the stumps. 

It's going to be a bit of expense, but we've had worse. And we made it through in a lot better shape than many folks from what the tree trimmer related. Once again, a good time to count our blessings.  

No comments: