Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bike Trip
















I was invited to a camp-out over the weekend so I took the touring rig and rode over Saturday. It was about sixteen miles of backroads, which made for a nice ride. It rained sometime during the night and woke me up but I closed up the side flaps and went back to sleep. I bought a good tent a few years back so I was good and dry. The rain stopped early in the morning so I had a good ride home as well. Had a good time while I was there, too. Nice group of people.

Bike camping can be a lot of fun and it's relatively cheap, as well. I bought the bike for four bucks and I made the trailer. I did some machine work to add another sprocket on the front for a low gear and bought a better saddle and panniers. I cruised over the other day at about 13-14 miles per hour. I can easily do 60-70 miles per day on relatively flat roads day after day. Not much when you compare it with a car, but it's a fun way to see the country. You might want to start thinking about it. Fall's always a good time for a camping trip. I'm already working on a trip for next summer.

3 comments:

leroy99 said...

Nice setup, looks like you have the pepper spray pretty handy no more broken collar bones for you I guess!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Yup, I never leave home without it anymore.

Surly said...

You got your Raleigh bike, you got your dead raccoon...
Man that post is gonna make me swoon.