Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Teeter-Totter With a Little Progress Thrown In














I saw this at The New Cafe (Racer) Society. Stainless tubing and Brooks saddles. Pretty cool, don't ya think?

The midget's a runner. I got the motor lit off the other day and it's ready for the maiden voyage. As Cuzzin Ricky says: "It's cute as a speckled pup."

Drug out some parts for the 900 last night. I started working on the clutch hook-up. I've got a new lever and cable plus I've got a clutch release plate that was the latest thing about thirty years ago. Vance & Hines or RC Engineering used to sell these things. It allows you to throw away the stock cover that has the clutch actuator in it so you have easy access to the countershaft sprocket. I knew I was missing something to bolt it on but I couldn't remember what until I started digging around in the parts box. I need two long metric bolts, which around here will be difficult enough to come by, but the piece behind the sprocket that this gizmo bolts on to is in need of some serious repair. Apparently, once upon a time the chain broke and tore a big section out of it. That was pretty common, actually. One of the bolt holes is also stripped out. I've got a 6mm Heli-Coil set, so I can fix the threads and I can weld up the missing piece. So that'll be the next step. Like the black powder gun, I want to get most of the heavy lifting done before it gets too cold outside. If I can get most of the parts acquired and hung on it at home, I can take it over to school and get it painted on a weekend or during vacation - Christmas would be real good. That might be a little optimistic but I've never really had a good grasp on reality anyway.

No comments: