Sunday, September 13, 2009

Black Powder Shotgun
























I started machining up a few more pieces for the black powder shotgun I started a couple of years ago. This is going to be my at home winter time project. Instead of sitting on my rump in the evening vegetating in front of the television, I can go down the basement and tinker on the gun project. I want to get some of the parts that require machine work done before it gets cold out - no point in heating up the shop for an hour or two when it's freezing out.There's going to be a lot of filing and fitting so I can do that at my little bench down the basement and be happy as a clam.

The photos show the breech plug and the spindle/tumbler. They both still need quite a bit of hand work but I'm sure it's going to be a long, cold winter. Of course you can buy everything you need to build a muzzle loader from Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf but what's the fun in that? Besides, those gun kits aren't cheap. Depending on the quality of the components, you can easily get $700 - 800 wrapped up in one. I'm planning on making everything myself. I picked up a little book from the library years back and made a photocopy. It's a "how to" on building a percussion pistol and I'm adapting the plans to build a 20 gauge shotgun. I'm hoping to have all the metal work done this year and with a little luck have the stock done as well. If this one goes well, I want to make a single shot rifle next. A breach loading 45 Long Colt should be just the ticket.

3 comments:

ra-63 said...

I just read about the 20 gauge Bp shotgun your working on.Yes it is going to be a long cold winter and thats the best time to be working on projects like that.It's even going down in the 20's here in FL ! I just made a 20 gauge percussion shotgun myself,completely from Scatch.Everything.I did it all with hand tools,and help from my bench grinder of course.I also started a 20 gauge shot pistol recently.It has a 12 1/2"bbl,percussion.It has pre and after travel adjustments on the trigger.I tend to do that to alot of firearms because it makes the trigger have such a clean break which I like.I know how good it feels when one of these fine guns are completed and the best part is firing it for the first time ! Great feeling.Sure people like us can buy a "Kit" but like you said 700 bucks or more and even though all that money is spent on one,it wont be anything like one that your hands have made,through the thought of your mind.Besides I think it's way more fun grinding,drilling cutting etc on a piece of steel,wood because all the satisfaction ya get by doing it like that.I just wanted to leave my comment because it's hard to find someone that makes one totally from scratch. I would like to see a picture or two of your work if possible.Good Luck with all your workings. Ron from Fl.

ra-63 said...

I just saw a picture of the breech plug/tumbler with hundreds of photos of black powder shotguns that I Googled today and clicked on it and your paragraph came up....

Shop Teacher Bob said...

A lot has happened in my life since that post and I really haven't done much more on the gun. Here's a site I check out regularly: http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

Lots of beautiful handmade craftsmanship there. Mostly black powder and related items.