Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ciao Bella




















Greetings from Sorrento. Hiked up to the top of Mt. Vesuvius today and heading to Pompeii tomorrow. My Italian isn't getting better but my broken English has improved ten fold. Seems most everyone in a shop where we've been has someone who can speak English. Our tour guide has been most helpful for anything we can't figure out on our own. My two years of Latin in high school 45 years ago is actually helping a little, hard as that is for me to believe.

The road leading up to Vesuvius is extremely narrow and has a million switchbacks but our bus driver, Reno, is one talented dude. I wish I could speak some more Italian. He's a few years younger than I am but has a bright yellow Ducati. He gave me the heads-up when we passed the factory in Bologna. The people on scooters are absolutely crazy. They split lanes, pass on the right, pass on the left and some times do all of the above within three or four car lengths.

Saw the Leaning Tower yesterday. Went for a gondola ride the other night and have seen some incredible art and architecture. I've been shooting lots of photos and will post a few with a more complete recap when I get home. Writing this on my buddies computer, so I need to sign off.

Love you, Baby. Be home soon.

3 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Damn Bro, that shits awesome.

Traveling Pirate said...

How many hours of walking did you log in Italy?

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Unk: Boy Howdy! Stay tuned for the details.

Traveling Pirate: I'm putting down 19.25 for walking, which is probably pretty conservative, and 1-1/2 hours of hiking for Vesuvius.