Sunday, March 13, 2011

Fight Results

I posted some info about my partner at the gym, Jimmy Holmes, on the Demotte Boxing Club page. Check it out here for a brief description of the event and a few photos.

This was the first time Jimmy took his show on the road and of course, my first time as well. Some quick observations:

The promoters were very professional and treated all of us extremely well. They picked us up from the airport, put us up in a nice motel, fed us and put on a real good fight card.

I think Jimmy was selected as an opponent that had a decent record but could be easily dispatched to help pad the other guy's record. Part of the selection was based on a fluke event in Jimmy's career and they expected him to go out early. I don't think they want to have a rematch after Jimmy's performance Saturday night.

I spent a couple of days laying around for the biggest part of the day. The motel had The Wall Street Journal and I picked up a Washington Post a couple of days. I was probably the most well read guy that was dealing with a spit bucket and a stool Saturday night.

Boxing on the professional level is a brutal sport. Two guys slugging each other for a total of thirty minutes can and will, if continued on for a length of time, cause irreparable brain damage. I haven't been around too many pros but I don't want Jimmy to end up like a couple of them I've seen. I'm extremely proud of him and what he's accomplished but I'm hoping he finishes up his contract and gets out.

After laying around for a couple of days resting up, I managed only about four hours sleep last night. Still kicked my ass. I got into bed right at 2:00 AM which means it was 3:00 AM. I left a 9:00 AM wakeup call and figured I'd be plenty good on that. Tossed and turned a little before getting to sleep and then the bus load of softball girls and the boy's soccer teams started slamming doors in the motel about 7:00 AM. When they finally quieted down I just dozed back off and the wakeup call came through. Might be getting too old to have my sleep patterns messed with.

So that's that. Back to work in the morning for a few more days and then I'm off again. Quite the jet setter, I am. Unfortunately, I think I might have the start of a Virginia cold virus working on me. If that's the case, it should be in full bloom about the time I leave. Regardless, it'll be a great trip.


2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Hey Bro.
Sorry your boy lost but glad he held his own and all.

Come see us down here after you get back from overseas.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I talked to him last night at the gym and he was real upbeat about the fight. Said he had a lot of fun. He learned a lot and he proved he's much more than just a club fighter. All in all, a pretty good deal.