Monday, September 26, 2011

The Egg and I















Finally reaping the rewards of having a big flock of chickens around the place - I've got two of the Golden Comets and one old Black Java rooster. As you may remember, the rest of the Golden Comets were the victims of the attack of the killer mink. The remaining two are doing well. They aren't much bigger than a Bantam but the egg is a decent size. I need to finish up securing the perimeter before next season so I can get a few more. Financially speaking, they're not too practical but I like chickens, so that's reason enough to keep a few.

As I approach retirement, I'm trying to get myself positioned to be somewhat self-sufficient. I'm planning on expanding the garden a little. This year it just went to hell but I did manage to eat a few tomatoes, peppers and cukes. The apples and the peaches didn't do much and I didn't do much with what I did have. I picked an apple from out in Belfast when we were there and saved the seeds. I'm going to try and get a tree going from that. I planted one from a apple along the ditch bank close to the house a couple of years ago. I know that apples don't always come true to seed but if Johnny Appleseed could plant them, why can't I? I've got some cherry trees planted that should do something in a couple of years. I do have persimmons on the trees out back. They should be ready to pick soon. The Missus makes great persimmon bread. Same with the rhubarb.

So the plan next year, barring any repeat of the 100 mph wind, is to get a little more planted and do a better job of tending, eating and preserving it. The weather will be closing in before too much longer and I'm planning on dragging out a couple of the old books on small farming, curling up in front of the fireplace and doing a little advance planning. The way the economy is looking, both here and abroad, might be a good idea for all of us to be working the plan.

Have a good week.


2 comments:

Surly said...

I saw a thing about apples recently. The big thing I learned is that you can't plant apples from seed. All the varietal apples at the store come from grafts. If you plant 12 seeds from an apple you may get 12 varieties of apple and chances are good that they will all be inedible. This is an oversimplification but be warned, do some research first. Also, they could turn out to be very tall tees that would be impractical to pick.
Oh, and Johnny Appleseed knew all this. He did not just sow seeds all over. He was a nurseryman. Also a Swedenborgian, which is of no consequence to this discussion but it's fun to say and write the word Swedenborgian.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

According to Wikipedia, Johnny objected to grafting on religious grounds and preferred wild varieties. Must be the Swedenborgia thing. I'll take my chances on whatever I get. I can make cider out of the apples or cut the trees down. The trees make nice souvenirs from my trips. I've got an oak from southern Indiana and a couple of cherries from Washington state and hopefully an apple from New York.