Friday, September 16, 2011



















I need to finish about a dozen projects so I can get me one of these.

I did finish up the spreader bar the other night at Open Shop. It's 17 feet long, so now I need to figure out how to get it home. I could bring the trailer with the spiral stair on it back to school and then load up the spreader bar. I need to get that into school anyway. I wanted to get a couple of other things out of there first, however. I could throw it in the back of my truck. With the tailgate down the bed's about 9.5 feet long. I've got my bicycle rack in there so I'd have something to tie it off to. Just hang a red flag on the end hanging out and take the back roads home. Probably the way I'll go. Maybe today, even.

I'm looking into turning some Indian clubs from the big elm that came down along with the barn this summer. I need to get a little more info on turning green wood so they don't split after I get them done. I know they sell some stuff to paint the ends of the piece with to slow down the drying process but I don't know much more about it than that. I need some practice turning things, so even if they split, it wouldn't be a total loss. I've got a grinder and sharpening set-up coming for the Woodshop. As soon as that comes in and I get the lathe tools sharpened up, I want to get the boys working on some spindle projects. My sister-in-law gave me some wood turning magazines to look through. Like every other skilled trade, so much to learn and so little time to do it.

I'm hoping to have the lifting beams in place this weekend. It will depend on the weather and the back/chest thing. I was doing real well and then I over did it last weekend and have been real sore all week. I have to get the barn job going again regardless. It's been a month since I've done anything. If I get it done, I would have a nice place to park the Moto Guzzi. I'm sure it would look good in there.


2 comments:

leroy99 said...

Did you get the spreader bar home if not I have my ladder rack on my truck would fit nicely and would be plenty safe if you want me to can come over tomorrow and catch up and drive it over to the casa give me a call or email talk to you soon, Dave

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'll give you a call if I need you - ladder rack would make things easy. I worked on the lifting beams today until my chest hurt. I'm going to try and finish them up tomorrow if it's not raining. Thanks.