Friday, September 23, 2011

Power Tool Repairman















In the never ending battle for truth, justice and a functioning woodshop, I did a little work on the router the other day. In order to make fine adjustments to the depth of cut, you loosen the clamp as seen on the left and then turn the non-existent knob on the black shaft running vertically in the photo. According to the manual it's supposed to have some kind of graduated dial on the shaft as well so you can make accurate adjustments. I ordered the knob and the screw that holds it on but the other business is no longer available - figures. If you push the black button on the right side it releases the fine adjustment so you can run it up and down easily. Except it didn't do that. I took it apart and found a burr on the shaft that was causing it to hang up and polished that out. Also the body of the router itself was kind of galled up in a few spots so I polished things up a little and now it all seems to be working as designed. The knob will be in on October 3rd, so I should have that problem fixed pretty soon.

I also had to take my hand grinder apart the other day. It's a B&D Wildcat. Without a doubt, no finer grinder for any money. I've been using them ever since I started teaching and they're like a Timex - take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. There used to be a service center for Black & Decker close by so it was easy getting parts but they closed up. Every thing is Internet now. The one I worked on the other day is 17 years old and has seen a lot of use. I need to order in a couple of parts and it'll be back up to snuff. I've always maintained that shop teachers should have a class in college on repairing and maintaining equipment. That would be a lot more helpful than a lot of that pedagogy stuff they throw at you.

Homecoming football game tonight. It's been a pretty quiet week so far but they'll be buzzed this afternoon. I'm thinking maybe show a video to the aspiring woodworkers. Might be a bad day to put them in harm's way.

If the rain holds off, the barn should be ready for lift off this weekend. 'Bout all that's left is to take the roof sheets off and bring the spreader bar home. I've been pretty nervous about the lift but now that everything's in place I'm feeling a little more comfortable. Find out as soon as they take the slack out.

Enjoy the weekend.

No comments: