Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ready For Lift-Off








Spreader Bar
















Roof Panels Are Off














Lifting Lugs Ready to Go







The weather looked a little shaky for barn work today but I got everything done, plus made it to the gym this morning. I didn't want to crawl up on the roof if was wet but it dried out nicely this afternoon and I got that taken care of. I'm not all that crazy about getting up there at all, to be honest, but it didn't take long and the roof has got a pretty gentle pitch on the top section. It'll be a little scarier putting them back on when it's about nine feet higher but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Bringing the spreader bar home was a piece of cake. I had it up on pipe jacks at school, so I just backed underneath it as far as I could then slid it the rest of the way in. I've got a bicycle rack across the front of the truck bed so I clamped the front down to it and put a strap around the back and off we went. I bought a set of towing lights at Harbor Freight for ten bucks just for the barn job - money well spent . When I got it home I pulled it out a ways and then drove out from under it. No muss, no fuss.

Other than a little cleaning up and drilling some holes in the top plate of the walls, I should be ready for lift-off. I'll check with the wrecker company and the weather man and hopefully the lid will be back where it belongs next week. Been a long time coming but as long as the lift goes alright, the rest should be pretty easy. Surly says he can help me sheet the walls, so that should go pretty fast. I'm planning on putting a little deck on the end with the big doors, so I need to check with the Building Trades guy about that. When he pours the approach ramps he can pour a couple of footers for the deck at the same time. I'll be able to set my telescope up out there and I'll be able to watch the 4th of July fireworks from there as well.

If the rain holds off tomorrow, I'll try to get most of the clean up done. If not, I think I'm going to relax and watch some football. I think I deserve a little rest.