Friday, October 21, 2011

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young." - Henry Ford

I saw that quote at Ross Training. Surly put up a link at his new fitness blog. This guy's an absolute monster when it comes to working out. He's got some real good boxing stuff as well as general fitness info. He's also got a link on the sidebar titled Age Related for all of us old geezers. I'm probably in as good or better shape than most guys my age but I look like a real piker compared to some of these people. If you're looking for a little inspiration to get up off the couch, regardless of your age, check it out.

The above quote addresses the mental aspect more than the physical but you really need to do both. Keep exercising your body and your mind and you'll function better on all fronts.

Enough preaching. I'm going to try and get the last couple of sheets of siding hung on the back wall this afternoon and then start on the front. I'm taking a couple of guys to a welding contest in the morning at the Pipefitters' Local 597 Training Center. It's a little early in the year for them to be at their best but it should be a good experience for them and I've been wanting to get over there and check the place out anyway. If the weather's decent when we get back home I'll try to get a little more siding on or hang some OSB on the inside walls. Eventually, I'll have the whole thing closed in both inside and out, at least on the bottom. The Missus had a good idea about building a couple of tables into the walls. I've seen the same thing before with model train layouts where you just fold out the board and some legs drop down. I'm going to build one and see how it works. Shouldn't cost too much more - just a couple of hinges and some extra 2x4's. I can probably even have the Woodshop boys fab it up at school and then just bring it home and throw it in the hole.

Enjoy the weekend.







4 comments:

Surly said...

Ross Enamait is pretty inspiring. I have his book "Never Gymless" and it's not the most polished book but it doesn't need to be and that's the point. Just get fit. Forget about gear and gym memberships, just do it.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Most boxers have worked out, other than bag work and sparring, with just exercises, skipping rope and roadwork. Nothing fancy but enough to make you champion of the world.

cuzzin ricky said...

speaking of tables i've got a couple of tables that were aunt betty's i heard through the grapevine that you were gonna keep them at your place also i got the bill o'reily book killing lincoln just finished it let me know if you ,want to read it cuzzin ricky

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Not sure where I'd put the tables but if you're heading this way and want to bring them along, I'll find a spot. If you're in no hurry to get the book back, bring it too. Don't have much time for reading right now. Seems like as soon as I get through the newspaper in the evening, I'm falling asleep.