Thursday, October 13, 2011

Getting Things Done











(NSFW)








Busy week again, as always. One of the art teachers took a welding course at IVY Tech this summer and made himself a brush guard and a trailer hitch for his little KIA. He's got a student teacher so he came down and we gave him a hand installing those. Some girl backed into something with her car so a couple of the boys popped the dent out. It's plastic, so they pushed it out and threw a little heat on it so it would stay. I pulled the aunt's car in the shop Tuesday during Open Shop. I was just going to check it out but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be so I started working on it. The frame rusted by the front mount for the lower control arm. I got the job about 80% finished. I need to finish weld the patch pieces and add one more little piece and that'll be done. We also modified some cutting blades for the snowplows here at the school. The normal ones wear out real quickly, so they brought in some that are about twice as thick. We cut them to length and drilled the mounting holes. I also brazed up a gas tank for a pickup truck. It was a brand new tank but the cab settled down on top of it and put a couple of cracks in it. Also fixed a couple of desks - hardly a week goes by without a desk in the shop.

I gave a little presentation Wednesday after school along with one of the English teachers and the Building Trades instructor about the Lilly grants we've received. The Eli Lilly foundation gives monetary grants to teachers for the purpose of "personal renewal and intellectual growth". It's a sweet deal - $8,000 to do something that you ordinarily wouldn't be able to do. God bless 'em for that.

In the Woodshop we made a couple of wooden boxes up out of scrap. One's for the bag gloves at the gym and the other is for the welding gloves here at school. I think I'm finally starting to make some progress in the Woodshop. The boys are to the point that they realize they actually need to know how to do fractions and that just slapping things together isn't the best approach. We had a tool identification quiz, so now they at least know the difference between a combination square and a wooden mallet. We've still got a long way to go but I've got all year. We're making a little progress on the stations for the wooden boat. If it takes a couple of months just to get the strongback and the station molds together, it might be a little bit before we have a boat but I've got time.

I've been making some progress on the barn but I need to order in some things before I can finish the sheeting. The south side on the bottom is covered and all of the north side except for around the service door. I need to get a door before that will happen but I'm pleased with how things are looking. They're calling for rain the next few days so I'll get my order put together and called in. If I can get it ordered this week it should be here next week.

As my old pal Joey B. used to say, things are progressing steady by jerks. The barn should be closed in by the time cold weather gets here and the Woodshop boys will be able to do some fractions this year. It could be worse.

2 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

I'VE BEEN GOING TO CALL YOU ABOUT MOM'S CAR AND HAVE JUST BEEN TOO BUSY WITH WORK. TELL ME THE DAMAGES AND I'LL HAVE MOM MAKE A "DONATION".

GLAD TO HEAR THINGS ARE MOVING ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER PROJECTS.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I should have it finished in a couple of days. We've got things in the shop now but I'll be on fall break for a couple of days and I'll try to get it finished up then. Don't worry about a donation.