Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Update






Josh & Justin








Welding Contestants










Barn Under Roof











Boat Framing















Harbor Freight Trailer
With New Sides











KIA Ready For
Safari






The boys did fairly well at the welding contest Saturday morning. All contestants received a tee shirt, certificate and their choice of welding caps or gloves. There were 40 competitors total. This was the first year so I would look for a much bigger group in the future. The Training Center has 114 welding booths, so they definitely have room. The facility is just amazing. All of us were given a guided tour of the place and the guide did more than just show us around. He gave a lot of good advice to the young men and women that were there. You hear a lot of this:

"
We are always looking for young men/women that want to work and can weld a little. Teaching welding is the easy part, good work ethics and attitude is the hard part."

That's a quote from the guy who was in charge of the contest. It always comes down to hard work and attitude. Thanks to Pipefitter's Local 597 - it was a real good experience for the boys and myself.

I had a good weekend for working on the barn. I got the sheets on the roof replaced that I had to take off to lift it up so I'm done up there now. The Missus was a little concerned so she called Surly and he came down to keep an eye on me. I had myself tied off with a real deal safety harness so it was about as safe as it could be. Good to have a safety man just the same. I put the rest of the roof sheets on the lower part even though they were bent up a little. I got all of the new metal ordered so when that comes in I'll swap them out, but at least the building is all under roof except for the gable ends. I put some OSB up on the inside around the front doors as well. I worked on getting the front wall straightened up after work yesterday. That's pretty well set now so I can put the last purlins up and start hanging the sheeting.

The boat's coming along. We've still got a couple of the station molds to add but with the battens on you can see the shape it will be. I need to figure out where to get some lumber that I'll need. The local lumber yard isn't exactly the best place for boat building lumber but there is a place close by that sells rough lumber. I think he can order in whatever I need. I found a place that advertises in Wooden Boat magazine that probably has what I need but it's a ways from here. If worst comes to worst, I'll take a day off and run over there and get it.

All in all we're making progress on all fronts. The Woodshop boys are all working on things. It's one step forward and two steps back most of the time but they're learning something anyway.

Looks like rain the next couple of days so I might not get much done on the barn. I bought the lumber for the rest of the purlins up on top so I should be able to work on that this weekend. I'll need to set up some scaffolding to hang the sheeting but I can get most of the purlins done without it as long as I'm careful. It should be closed in before the winter weather gets here.

The little KIA and trailer belong to the art teacher. He made the brush guard in the welding class he took this summer. The boys helped him install it and put the trailer frame together for him. I need a student teacher like he has now so I can work on some of my projects. It'd be nice to have a couple of weeks to work on things and get a check for it. Probably shouldn't complain though. I do plenty of my stuff on company time.

Roger and out.




No comments: