Saturday, October 15, 2011

B & B





























Barn and Boat, that is.

We got a little done on the boat this week - starting to put some of the station molds on the strongback. We need to modify the strong back a little before we can finish putting the rest of the station molds in place but you can tell we're building a boat now. We've got a short week next week due to having Monday and Tuesday off but we should be able to finish that part up by Friday.

The barn is progressing nicely. I assembled the one bay door that was in the hole before the barn fell down and stuck it in the opening. It was damaged slightly so I wanted to see if I could fix things or if I needed to order some parts. The bottom panel has a dent in it but it's not real noticeable. Both tracks had some wrinkles in them but they straightened out nicely so I'm good there. I am missing a couple of the track bolts, one bracket and the torsion spring inner liner is bent. I can probably make do on the bolts and the bracket but I might have to get a new spring. As long as I've got the door in the hole, I'll keep going on getting the rest of the track hooked up. I'll borrow the parts from the other door for right now and finish the one door up. I'm going to put an opener on the side the Missus will be using but I'll worry about that later when I get some electricity run.

I still need to order the replacement sheets but I need to get the remaining purlins put up and straighten up the doors on top. I was fortunate not to have the doors on top break but the frame shifted some. You can see a big gap on the top corner of the brickmold on one side. I also need to finish aligning the front wall and trim the ends of the trusses a little. All of that should keep me busy while I'm waiting for the remaining sheet metal stuff to come in. A student brought me a safety harness to wear while I'm replacing the roof sheets so I feel a little better about tackling that job. As long as the weather stays decent, I should get quite a bit done over the next few days.

As soon as I finish the aunt's car I'm going to try and start on the VW or one of the motorcycle projects. I need to get the staircase for the barn back into the shop and finish that but it's already on the trailer and ready to transport. It won't take long to fix that. The Building Trades boys should be able to help me set it back in the hole. So now things are pretty well back to normal. A million things to do but I'm making headway.

Enjoy the weekend.

No comments: