Monday, January 23, 2012

Busy, Busy

Scarf Joint

New Interior Wall & Cabinets

Busy weekend. Did some plowing and shoveling Saturday morning. It was cold out but a nice sunny winter day. Sunday was supposed to warm up, and it did, but the sun never came out and it started to rain a little. My old bones are not a fan of the cold and damp. I was going to work in my shop a do a little machine work but took a pass. By the time I got it warmed up it would have been time for football.

I did finish putting up the OSB and the handrail/top cap in the upstairs of the barn. I also hung a couple of cabinets the woodshop boys made. They're nothing fancy but they'll do nicely. We inherited a bunch of cabinet doors, the rest of the stuff is leftovers. I've got a cabinet in my shop that has most of my woodworking hand tools in it that I'll get around to transferring one of these days.

I went over to school and got the two pieces of plywood for the bottom of the boat glued together - did a couple of other little jobs and put some grades in the computer while I was there. I still need to spend a little time sorting and organizing but not sure if there will even be a woodshop program next year. The state is changing everything to Career Pathways which is more vocational. I'm scheduled to go to a meeting about all this in a couple of weeks, so I should know more then. We'll probably be good for next year and that should take care of me.

My screws, glue and copper rivets for the boat came in last week, so I should be able to get the bottom on the boat this week. I'll pick up some wood for the sides and maybe be able to get a couple of boards hung on this week as well. I got my oars, oarlocks and oarlock brackets ordered. I'm fired up about the project now, plus I'm starting to get some real money invested in the thing. No point in sitting on it. I'll be able to go fishing in my Martin skiff this spring.

I put a new link up to the Handverker blog. The guy teaches machining/design/metal working at the college level- puts up some beautiful work of both his students and himself. He seems to be a lot like me. He's into bikes, both with and without motors, VW's and making cool things. Unlike me, he's got one hell of an eye for design and the artistic side of metal working. Lots of stuff made with the latest and greatest CNC. Definitely worth a look.

Have a good week. I'm going to build a boat.

1 comment:

Frankie Flood said...

I thought you might like this and would be good for your students to see:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/326776/the-tradesmen-making-an-art-of-work