Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Not Going to End Well

Photo from here

You can pretty much tell this isn't going to end well, at all. Even the great ones like Geoff Duke sometimes have a bad day at the office.

My day actually went pretty good yesterday. I got the boys in the Woodshop started on building an Arts and Crafts style footstool. It should be made out of oak but were taking the cheaper approach and using pine. The project doesn't take much material and should keep them busy for awhile. Besides, they might actually learn a little somethin'. If I had more time I would have made one up ahead of them like Norm does on the New Yankee Workshop. They'll have to use most of the tools in the shop to complete the project, so it'll be a good experience. It'll be interesting to see how well they do on something a seventh grader would have made 40 years ago. I'm continually amazed by how little these guys know. However, one nice thing about it, it's not too hard to tell if they're learning anything or not. When they get the stools finished up, I'll post a photo and you can be the judge.

I did a little artsy-fartsy work during Open Shop last night. I should have the project completed in a couple of days and I'll post a photo then. Actually it was tying up a loose end rather than starting a new project - so that's a good thing. I'm working on cleaning up the shop at school, doing a little long over due cleaning out of the corners, some maintenance, etc. I've got a couple more little jobs that need to be finished or thrown out as well.  I'm actually working my way over to the Volkswagen. I got a little work done on the trolley beam for the barn last night too.

I talked to my colleague who does the video productions and we're going to start making some instructional videos next week. I can post these on my Moodle page (when I finally figure out how to Moodle), so if a kid is absent or needs a refresher, he can check out the video. I've been wanting to do this for a couple of years. I think I'm going to start with  oxy-acetylene torch set-up and operation. If that goes well, put a short video together on operating all the rest of the welders and the plasma cutter.

Yep, good day.

No comments: