Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday


It's been a busy but productive week. We had our visit from the AdvanceEd group to evaluate our school. From the remarks made by the group chairperson at the exit meeting, we're looking pretty good. I think everyone in the building when asked about our weaknesses mentioned the dismal state of our technology. Hopefully that will help bring about some changes in that department. So now that the inspection team has left, we can gather the Red Cross blankets and the ping pong balls back up and store them until the next visit.

The top photo shows the trolley beam all painted up along with a uniform rack and a stool for the new Middle School - made the rack, repaired the stool. While I was waiting to have my interview with the AdvanceEd team yesterday, the boss cornered me and wants me to make some stanchions for crowd control in the cafeteria. I made some when I first started here but apparently the principal of the new school  took them. They had four, now they'll have six.

Got a little work done on the boat this week. Just what the doctor ordered. I've been in a funk lately and the boat building seems to be loosening up the Vise Grip on my mental health.The oars for the boat came in the other day, so that was all it took to get me back on the path to righteous redemption. I'd like to have everything pretty well set on the sides before Spring Break. If not done, at least well along the way. Then I can turn it over and work on finishing it up during the break. I've got something going on just about every night until then, however. I might start showing up to work a little earlier every day to get a little time in on it. 

As always, lots of other little jobs sprinkled in with some actual school teaching - worked on welding symbols this week. Need some time on deciphering the new CNC manual. Maybe see about a little of that this weekend. The Woodshop boys are about finished with their little boxes. We'll be working on the lathe and something else next week. Not sure what but I'll think of something.

Have a good weekend and don't forget to stop and count your blessings.

2 comments:

Ms. A said...

I've been in a mental health funk myself lately. I blame mine on a combination of cloudy days, 13 years of teaching, more BS school mandates both locally and statewide, and the usual pre-spring break slump.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Ms. A: I think it's the same basic cause for me as well. I've been sitting through some webinars on Common Core and hearing some other things that are coming and it sure doesn't look pretty.

Plus, I'm looking to retire and I just read a letter to the editor in the WSJ that a million dollar portfolio in Treasury bills is currently yielding $300 per year. So I want to get out because of all the crap going on in the name of reform but I can't count on any return on my savings due to the very same politicians screwing up the economy from too much regulation where it doesn't need it and not enough regulation where it does. It's no wonder teachers are in a funk.

I checked out the new blog - interesting. Perhaps I can give it a shot some day. Not too worried about reprisals at this stage of the game.