Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday Update


Photo From Here

This is what I need to make for the VW - Just need a month's worth of 30 hour days to get caught up
Tailstock Repair
Today's the end of the nine weeks grading period and we have one more week until Spring Break, after which, even the good students turn worthless. The weather has been record breaking warm and it looks like that will continue for a few more days. I'm glad to see it. I need to be outside getting a few things done and my mental health needs the renewal of life and promise of hope that Spring brings with it. Last year at this time it was off to Italy, this year it's off to the dentist, chores around the shack and boxing.

The Golden Gloves started last night in Indy but we didn't have anyone scheduled. We're having a fundraising show tonight at the gym to defray our expenses of taking guys down there in the following weeks.  We've got eight bouts on the card tonight - should be a good show. Jimmy will be fighting on the 30th. It looks to be his last pro fight. That's been a fun ride. I was with him from the start and I'll be there at the end. It's been a lot of work on his part, but chasing your dream typically is. He's done well and I'm happy to have been a part of it.

I've been fixing things right and left at school. I've got the wood lathes mostly tuned up. A couple of the tailstocks wouldn't lock in place. The locking rod had a groove worn in them from the "U" bolt that rides around the outside of the rod. Simple fix. Weld up the groove, grind, file, reassemble and adjust. Not hard, just another thing that needed to be done. The biggest irritation is the fact that the previous teachers could have easily taken them apart and brought them down to me for repair rather than letting them go. As an "Old School" shop teacher, equipment maintenance is just a fact of life and something most of us old guys prided ourselves on. It seems the new "Technology Educators" aren't quite as tuned in to repair. I know they don't teach that sort of thing in college but it's your shop, maintain it. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the shop classes in the next few years.

Our school looks to be switching to the Career Pathways approach, which will be what used to be referred to as vocational. The students will also have the Project Lead the Way option, which is focused on engineering. I like the idea of having real craftsmen in the shops. When I first started I taught at a comprehensive high school that had several vocational programs. I was blessed to work with some really good "mechanics". The Machine Trades instructor was an exceptionally good craftsman and school teacher - I really learned a lot from that guy. Potentially, the Career Pathways could make things more like they used to be. At our school that could be a good thing. The students will have lots of options if they don't flunk their English and math classes like many of them do. It's hard to take many good electives when you're retaking the required's.

Warm weather ahead - get out and enjoy it. Almost time to get the garden started around here.

No comments: