Saturday, March 31, 2012

Jimmy's Fight


Jimmy's last fight didn't turn out quite like we hoped, losing a 6 round decision last night, but the career has come to a close just the same. I took Jimmy to the Golden Gloves 17 years ago on real short notice. He didn't fare too well but he was hooked. He eventually won a couple of amateur titles and represented Indiana at the National Golden Gloves in Denver. After turning pro, he won the Indiana Middleweight title, eventually fighting about 25 times with 19 wins against 4 losses plus a no contest and a draw. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

I knew nothing about the pro fight game when Jimmy made the decision to turn pro, so Jimmy has trained under both Dennis Hardesty and Jack Callahan, both well known and respected individuals here in the Midwest. I continued to help with his training and I learned quite a bit about training methods and about the pro fight game along the way. It has been a great experience for both Jimmy and I but I'm not the least bit sorry Jimmy has chosen to step down. Every athlete must make that decision at some point and he made it at the right time. He hasn't gotten hurt, he still has all of his faculties, he has done what he set out to do and he has made a lot of friends along the way. He has been the consummate professional, sharing the success when he has done well and taking full responsibility when it hasn't. 

It's been a great trip - thanks Jimmy for letting me come along.

2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Damn, it's been 17 years already? Wow. Ya know, I'm not sure I ever met him face to face. Seems like a damn fine fella though. You and him can both be proud.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Fine fella, indeed. School teacher, boxer and musician - real good guitar player. Next time you come up this way, I'll take you to the gym or arrange for you two to meet. Or, head to the Golden Gloves in Indy and see our boys fight. We've got one tonight and two next week.