Thursday, May 24, 2012

Therapy Session


I went down to the bike shop the other day to get the parts for my sister-in-law's Fair Lady. They had everything I needed in stock, plus I got some free advice on how to adjust the three speed shifter cable. They didn't have any white wall tires but I picked up a pair of black ones. I also put a little time in on the Rapido this week. I had bought an air cleaner element for it quite a few years back but even though it never left the original sealed HD package, it had disintegrated. It looks like an air filter for a Robin/Wisconsin 4hp two stroke will come pretty close to fitting so I ordered a pair of those and an air filter for the lawn mower this morning. After cutting some grass and running for parts it was starting to get hot out so I retired to the Lazy-Boy as usual. 

The Missus picked up the book Driving Mr. Yogi for me at the library yesterday so I figured I'd start on that. It's about Yogi Berra and Ron Guidry, former NY Yankee players. Guidry is my age and Berra is 85. The book is about two exceptional ball players of different generations who share the love of the game and the friendship that developed between them. I got lucky and there was an encore presentation of a White Sox game on while I was reading. Great afternoon of baseball. Remembering going to Comiskey Park when I was a young-un and watching the Yankees play the Sox. All the great players on both teams: Maris, Mantle, Ford, Aparicio, Fox. I don't watch that much baseball now, but like most guys my age, it was a big part of my life when I was growing up. There was only one thing that kept me from the big leagues - that would be talent, of course. But if I could have had my dream job, I'd have been a left handed reliever.

Working on bikes, reading and watching baseball, just what I needed today. And the photo above? 2003 Sportster.  They've got one like it at a local car dealer; low miles and good price. If the stress test results look good, I'm thinking it just might end up being mine. 

2 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

YOU'D LOOK GOOD ON THAT SPORTY!!!!!!

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

You reach a point in life when it's "what are you waiting for". I think I'm there.

I really enjoyed our visit the other day. I needed it - thanks.