Saturday, May 12, 2012

Well Read


I'm not getting much done around the shack but I'm getting a lot of reading done. I was once again this year going to pursue my quest of reading 50 books but was way behind schedule. However, due to un infarto, I'm pulling right back to the one book per week I need to get the 50. Additionally, I'm cleaning up on the magazine front too. The autobiography of Ali was sent to me by my nephew - the one who just had the baby, by the way. In fact the book and the bambino both showed up on the same day. My nephew is the proprietor of the Man Cave Consignment shop. If you're ever in Brentwood, California, stop in. Tell him shop Teacher Bob sent you.

If you check out the photo you'll get some kind of idea of my eclectic tastes in reading. The magazines cover topics like boats, cars, guns, bicycles, current events and technical publications. The books lately have been railroad and WW II history, fly fishing, baseball and I'm still working on my Italian a little bit here and there. Of all of my major interests, about the only thing I haven't touched on yet is motorcycles. However, I've got Kevin Cameron's book Top Dead Center that I got for Christmas a couple years ago that I've been holding in reserve for just such an occasion. I'm thinking that's up next with Patrick O'Brian's The Far Side of the World on deck. I've been wanting to read one of the O'Brian novels for several years. I normally never read a book that's more than 500 pages but I've got a book about Henry Ford around here somewhere that's 500 plus that I was saving for when I retire. Might be that I am. After I knock a couple of these others out of the way, I might be tempted to start on it.

Mother's Day tomorrow, don't forget. Give her a hug if you're close, a call if you're not and good thought if she's not around anymore.

2 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

I don't know if you're interested in making a photobook of Italy like the one I made of Spain & Italy but Shutterfly has them for 30% off right now with free shipping.

http://www.shutterfly.com/?escFlag=1

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'll have to check that out - thanks. I definitely need to get a few things around here organized and I've still got a month of sitting around ahead of me.