Friday, March 1, 2013

No Scantron Required

Click to Enlarge
I saw this at Schools Matter by way of Live Long and Prosper. I can honestly say that in all the years I taught high school, never did I administer a test using Scantron answer sheets. I did however get a chuckle out of being in the workroom when someone was feeding a stack of them through the grading machine. Every wrong answer triggers a click in the machine. Some of the tests sounded like machine gun fire when they ran through there. That would be the case with the one above.

Live Long and Prosper has some interesting things posted the last couple of days. I've been trying to stay away from too much educational mumbo-jumbo but every once in a while I backslide and check out what others are saying these days. Basically, the insanity continues. There's a link there that will take you to a letter written by a kindergarten teacher in Vegas that expresses the views of most teachers, I would guess, quite nicely.

Me, I'm glad to be out of the fugging  (saw that in the Missus' Scrabble dictionary and seemed a good fit). I go to the college, I teach welding, they gain skills, and then we do it again next week. About as pure and simple as it can be. As long as they show up and put in the effort, very effective, as well. Easy to measure, no Scantron required.

No comments: