Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Creeper/Door/Wine


I finished up the creeper the other day - looks OK and works the same. I think I'm going to rub down the top surface with a Scotch Brite pad or steel wool and give it one more coat of varnish, however. It's plenty serviceable but another coat will make it a little smoother and durable. I still need to make the head pad. I've got some vinyl and a hunk of foam around here that will probably do me fine. Since it was made from leftovers, I've got less than ten bucks invested in the creeper and unless I run it over with a car, it should last me for as long as I'm going to be crawling around under vehicles. Finished dimensions are 19" x 40", by the way.


A buddy stopped by the other day with this door from his old Triumph TR3. I've done a lot of metal work on the car in years gone by and last I talked to him he was working on the drivetrain so I figured the body work was pretty much finished. Apparently not, judging by the bottom of the door. I should have flipped the door around when I took the photo so the bottom edge wouldn't have been in the shadow but if you look close you can see a notch cut out. He decided rather than just patching in where the notch is, replace the whole bottom edge about an inch up. If it would have been most anyone else I would have just told him no, I don't do that anymore. But this dude and I go way back and I'll fix him up. He's in no hurry either, so that's a plus. I want to get some welding done on the VW before it gets cold, so while I've got the tools out, maybe get a little floor pan action taken care of on the bug. And since I now have a creeper, maybe patch up the heater channel as well.


The daughter-in-law sent home a couple of jars of canned goods the other day - one of vanilla peaches and one peach pie filling. Pretty good deal, there. She picks the fruit and sends me back some finished product. And the Missus, who just might be the world's greatest pie baker, has pledged a peach pie when the weather cools down. I'm going to pick some tomatoes, drop those off with the daughter-in-law and see what comes back. I've got two different types of tomatoes so she should be able to come up with something good.

The batch of peach wine is still going. I found out, like most hobbies, that I needed a couple of other items to make things go efficiently, so I got those ordered. Still under 100 bucks on everything and I've got enough fixin's to make several more gallons of wine, which is exactly what I plan to do. As soon as the first batch leaves the primary fermenter, I'll either make another batch of peach or try some apple wine. I've got a big table down the basement I'm working off of. As long as I label everything with all the pertinent poop, I should be OK. Once the juice is siphoned off the primary and into the glass jug, mostly it's just a waiting game from that point on. I'm just hoping it's drinkable when it's all said and done. I'm not much of a oenophile, but I would like to be able to make four or five gallons every year that's at least a couple of steps up from vinegar.




No comments: