Thursday, August 15, 2013

No Thank You

I got a phone call yesterday morning at 8:00 o'clock sharp. It was the principal of a local high school wanting to know if I was interested in teaching welding part-time for them. I didn't laugh or tell him anything about it taking a gun to my head to make me teach at a high school again, but I think if I had to choose, I might take the job holding the sign in the median for the pizza parlor first. Actually, I think I'd just sign up for Social Security, which I've been thinking about doing anyway.

If you sign up for Social Security before full retirement age they reduce your benefits, of course. In my case the difference between age 62 and age 66 is just about $500.00 per month. I'll be 63 in a couple of weeks so the difference has shrunk already but now I need to start thinking about all the details. If I make more than $15,000.00 in a year they take some of the money back. If I die in the next couple of years, I'll get nothing back for all the years I contributed. For a 63 year old who has already had a heart attack and lost a brother to cancer, what's the chances of making it 'til 80? What's going to happen when Obamacare kicks in? Will my insurance premiums go down? They already went up $300/month in anticipation of the change. Lots to consider here. I will say this, however. In my case, with a decent pension, trying to decide this issue is more a luxury than a necessity. If I had to live strictly off Social Security I'd be in a serious pickle. My health insurance premiums are just about what I'd be earning on Social Security. Not a good situation at all and unfortunately, there are a lot of elderly folks in just that situation. My advice to all of you, start planning for retirement sometime in the next minute unless you've already got a real good plan. If that's the case, come up with plan "B". Waving the sign for the pizza parlor when it's 20 degrees outside is not a good fall-back plan, by the way.

I hope the principal finds someone to teach the welding class. While it damn sure ain't gonna be me, it's crucial that schools continue to offer vocational classes. I ran into a former student at the gas station the other day and he is not only welding but he's teaching apprentices how to weld. He thanked me for putting up with him when he was in school but obviously his training paid off. He's using his skills and will be able to retire comfortably. He was never saddled with big student loan debt, either. Which, by the way, was the subject of a little article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday. Seems that a lot of young people can no longer start a business of their own. It's tough to be an entrepreneur when you've already got a big student loan you're obligated to pay off starting six months after graduation. Maybe in addition to finding welding teachers, the schools need to have an economics class that points out the reality of taking on large amounts of personal debt and not saving for the future. In my case, I owe my mother a huge debt, in that I heeded her financial advice and never accumulated any.

Another beautiful day in the 70's here. Time to head outside and do a little something. Save your money, eat right, get some exercise and enjoy life.


4 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

Speaking of starting a business, I read the other date that immigrants start businesses in this country at three times the rate of the rest of us. Interesting.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

If you're willing to pull up stakes and leave your home, you already have the mentality necessary for starting a business. Plus, the American Dream for immigrants is to have a better life for themselves and their families as a result of hard work and risk taking. For many who are born here, the American Dream is to have someone else take care of them.

Unknown said...

I came across this blog today while looking for EJ Potters Book the Michigan Madman. There are a lot of things I really like on here. I'm looking more into your posts about high school welding. Not until my senior year did I participate in any industrial arts classes. I took Basic and advanced welding and I loved it. After High School I went to a vocational school for Auto Repair. Worked in Auto shops for about 4 years, got tired of that crap. Did a few different things after that. Cement Plant Production, Real Estate Investing (6 months Full time, now just part time), Production Mig Welding (not a bad job, just a brain dead job), and now my welding high school class has made an effect on my decision to become a Pipe Fitter. Two years ago I began my Apprenticeship with the United Association and it has been the best decision I've made. There has always been a desire to go back to my High School Welding Instructor and volunteer my time as an assistant instructor. I know the time I have spent in my Local Hall training booths can help high school students get some solid basics, and the ones who move along quick could be challneged by setting up some in position pipe welds.

I like your blogs.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Glad you enjoy the blog. You've gotten into a real good trade and I'm sure they'd love some extra help at your former high school.