Thursday, August 8, 2013


Yesterday was one of those days where I got a lot done but didn't have much to show for it. I took Larry Joe Cocker to the vet in the morning to get his surgery taken care of - snipped, chipped and de-dewclawed. The poor little guy will probably never want to go for a ride in my truck again after all that.

After dropping him off I fixed the garage door, did some shopping, got a haircut, ran to the hardware store, put a couple miles in on the bike for a warm up, then ran  a little bit before the rain came in again and baby sat the pooch later in the evening.  

Going to work on the Whiz-Bang apple grinder a little today. It's all done except for an outlet pipe and a hopper for the top. I picked up the pipe yesterday with the run to the hardware store. They didn't have exactly what I was looking for but I picked up something I think will work. If you want to check out the construction of the grinder you can check out an earlier post here. I've got oodles of apples this year, so no better time to try and make some cider. I also need to make a pressure plate for the cider press - probably work on that today as well. 

Making cider will take care of all the excess apples - I might dry a few again this year- but I need to figure out what to do with the peaches. I still like the idea of making some peach wine but I don't know squat about wine making. Maybe just concentrate on doing the cider this year and work into the wine making next year. When the Missus and I were out west earlier this summer, we picked up some wine in the Amana Colonies. They had all types of available - peach, blackberry, rhubarb. Can't see that it would be all that tough to do. A little instruction and some equipment. Seems to me like it would be a good way to preserve the harvest.

Supposed to be another beautiful day. Be a great day to work on things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

https://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=f133e6af47f98d11&q=how+to+make+peach+wine

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I guess the real question is not how to make peach wine but rather, do I need to start another project? Shame to see all those peaches go to waste, however.

zayn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.