Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Bitter Cold's Making Me A Little Bitter


I went to a coaches clinic over the weekend to get caught up on the new rule changes in amateur boxing. I knew there had been some major changes but since I'm no longer involved in the day to day activities of the gym, yet still want to know what's going on, figured it would be worth my time and expense to attend the clinic. I'm hoping to go to the Golden Gloves at least one night of the tourney this year. I haven't gone to the Gloves the last couple of years - be nice to go again.

The weather is still cold. Temperature this morning right about zero. Looking at something like 10 below tomorrow night with snow coming in over the weekend. At least if it snows I've got a reason to get out of the house. Parking my ass in the recliner is just not good. I've got a workbench down the basement where I could be tinkering with something but I keep thinking it'll warm up enough to get out and work on the 900 or the VW or something but it's just not happening. Doesn't appear as if it's going to for at least a couple of more weeks either. Who knew global warming meant temperatures 30 degrees colder than normal?

Surly's coming up with a plan for his Sportster and I might be coming up with a Sportster. I damn sure don't need any more motorcycles or much else with wheels underneath it but this is a horse of a different color, as they say. I am looking at buying a small car for commuting to the college. They're talking about changing the format from a 16 week class length to 8 weeks. If I teach two classes per session, that'll put me there four nights per week. More than I really wish to be there not only for the time spent but also the expense of driving back and forth.  Between the trip to Indy for the coaching clinic and filling up to drive back and forth to work, I've already spent $125.00 this week on gas. Of course the fact that gas went up about 30 cents per gallon on Sunday didn't help at all. If the U.S. is supposed to be a next exporter of energy now, no longer dependent upon other nations, how the hell come gas prices shoot up because of something happening in Venezuela? Especially on a Sunday. No need to reply. I already know the answer.

So that's what's happening here. Not much of anything going on other than spending my pension check on keeping warm and gasoline for either the truck, the snowblower or the tractor. And when it does finally warm up, I can park the snowblower and start running gas through the mower. That condo in Miami's looking better all the time.



No comments: