Sunday, May 11, 2014

1973 XLCH

 



1973 XLCH Sportster. This one is from an e-Bay listing courtesy of Surly. I'll soon be the proud owner of one similar to this. This one in the photo is obviously all together. It's running and looking good. Mine won't be, of course. In fact, I haven't even seen it yet, but I do know the motor's apart and it needs some TLC. As much as I've always wanted a Sportster, I damn sure don't need another project bike. The only reason I'm taking on this one is to help a guy out who is currently dealing with some medical issues. It will, however, scratch a 45 year old itch.

When I was a senior in high school in 1968, the Sportster was the hottest thing going. I wanted the '68 XLCH bad but just couldn't afford it. I bought a Sprint instead. I had the Sprint for almost a year exactly and then some SOB stole it. I had my eye on a Triumph 500 Daytona to replace it with but "The Old Man" said it was about time I bought a car of my own. So I bought a car and then another car, and trucks, and motorcycles but never a Sportster, or a Triumph Daytona for that matter. Looks like now I'll finally have the Sportster and I've got my brother's BSA, so I'm hooked up in the English bike department as well.

I'll be taking possession some time in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know when it gets here.

No comments: